Book review: Lemniscate (Angel Star #2) by Jennifer Murgia (YA)

Paperback: 252 pages
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC (March 21, 2011)

Blurb: For Teagan, these last few months have been heaven on earth - especially now that Garreth, her boyfriend and guardian angel, is earthbound. But perhaps Garreth is becoming a little more human than either of them expected.

Now, Teagan must realize that her world is once again about to shift, as she questions the faith she held in others against those once considered enemies.

In this continuation of Angel Star, Lemniscate will draw you even deeper into the world of dark and light as Teagan realizes the angel who could possibly save them all is the one angel she feared the most.

Our review: David Bowie has sung about c-c-changes and in the sequel to Angel Star, there are plenty of changes going on. As much as I enjoyed the first novel, I must admit the second was even better. We now witness and learn that the dark side Teagan first encountered is not something she alone grapples with. Her beloved guardian angel, Garreth, grapples with his own  dark issues in a realistic way. Hadrian, the mysterious 'bad' angel returns and we learn exactly what a complex character he has become. 

Murgia tells Teagan's tale in a fast, well described and scripted way. Lemniscate is a book you want to read, or in my case, devour, to enjoy every single nuance, twist, and development in this world. Sometimes I find it hard to develop an emotional connection to characters in shorter or quick paced works, but this was not the case with this book. Teagan has lost her best friend, Claire, but has found an ally with her bestie's boyfriend, Ryan, and this support is needed to figure out what her enemy, Brynn, is up to. Meanwhile, Garreth undergoes changes as he wrestles with his human demands and has to deal with his jealousy over Hadrian. And above all of this is the mark on Teagan's hand, that black feather, and the threat of Lucifer coming after them.

I will not be giving away any spoilers. What I will tell you is to get your hands on this series and prepare to be entertained by Jennifer Murgia's warm and engaging story. Lemniscate expands upon characters I already came to care for in Angel Star and deepens their plights and connections to each other in a vivid canvas of light and dark. And among this is a love worth fighting for.

Rating: I really liked it.

Favorite excerpt: "Garreth turned to face me. I stood trembling, realizing his anger was now directed point-blank at me.

What have you done?" His tone was ice. What could I say?

I felt a presence behind me, then felt Hadrian's hand rest protectively upon my shoulder. I wanted to shake it off, to prove to Garreth I was still his. To prove I was sorry. But I couldn't find the strength to do it.

It instantly registered what I was witnessing. Garreth was jealous. He was fuming and Hadrian was reveling in it.

If only I hadn't believed that Hadrian still existed. If only my mind could have locked the door I never to reopen . . . for Garreth's sake.

For my own.

But I believed there was something good about about Hadrian. How could I ignore the truth?

Now I was the one paying for it."

Cover comment: A worthy companion to the cover for Angel Star, I like the darkness here, the symbol in front, and those roiling clouds behind it.

Book source: From the author for my honest review during a book tour.

Comments

  1. I adored these books. Best angel books ever! Jennifer, get busy on the next one, pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on it Darby! And Meg, Caitlin and Laurie, what a sweet review! You gals rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! Thank you so much for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jennifer and Mundie Moms! We anxiously await the next story:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the excerpt. This sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop