Mini-review: Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch by Douglas Rees

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Harlequin; Original edition (July 1, 2010)

Blurb: My name is Kestrel.

Kestrel Murphy.

Never call me Susan.

Who ever heard of a witch named Susan?

A year ago, I was on the white-magic side. Lately, I've been leaning toward the black. I blame the universe. What's the point in being a nice little white witch in the universe I've got? If I could choose my own universe, I'd be a white witch in it. But black makes a lot more sense inthis universe.

Not that I'm complaining. A witch never complains. But if I did, I'd have a lot to complain about. For instance: Richard Milhous Nixon High.

What's a teen witch to do when she's stuck in the most unmagical high school in the universe? Create her own "majix." Take notes. And above all, avoid nasty classmates, heartless grown-ups and boys who may prove a little too distracting for a serious teen witch to handle….


Review:
Kestrel was named Susan at birth but the way she feels about her parents and herself make her change her bland name to something that reflects more of who she is—a witch, and when the book begins she’s not feeling the white witch part, it’s the dark side she finds appealing. Dark clothes, dark mood, Susan decides on a more fitting name. Kestrel it is. Majix deals with a young girl feeling unwanted and misunderstood. After causing her dad to have a heart attack, she gets shipped off to Aunt Ariel’s house. Ariel is a witch and she helps Kestrel grow comfortable with her own self and along the way, this teen learns a lot more about herself, her role in the world, and grows up in this engaging coming-of-age tale suited for middle grade and younger YA readers. Rees captures the voice of a contemporary teen girl, complete with the necessary angst, snark, and emotions, and blends it all into a singularly unique and opinionated individual.  Kestrel may have started off sounding whiny but along the way she became someone I completely understood, accepted, and liked.

Rating: I liked it.

Cover comment: I don't really care for this cover at all.

Book source: Net Galley

Note: Occasionally we misplace our notes or entire reviews and we will do our best to rewrite it. This is what happened with this review and since we don't have a favorite excerpt to run we have titled these instances as 'mini-reviews.'


Comments

  1. I've got to admit, I haven't picked this up because of the cover. *ducks* I do my best not to judge a book by its cover, but I agree with you on this one. It just isn't appealing. That's awful I know, since the author has so little say in their cover. Thanks for the review though, you've convinced me to give this one a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop