Adult book review: Demon from the Dark (The Immortals After Dark series book 10) by Kresley Cole

Mass Market Paperback: 448 pages
Publisher: Pocket (August 24, 2010)

Summary: 

A DANGEROUS DEMON SHE CAN’T RESIST . . .
Malkom Slaine: tormented by his sordid past and racked by vampiric hungers, he’s pushed to the brink by the green-eyed beauty under his guard.

A MADDENING WITCH HE ACHES TO CLAIM . . .
Carrow Graie: hiding her own sorrows, she lives only for the next party or prank. Until she meets a tortured warrior worth saving.

TRAPPED TOGETHER IN A SAVAGE PRISON . . .
In order for Malkom and Carrow to survive, he must unleash both the demon and vampire inside him. When Malkom becomes the nightmare his own people feared, will he lose the woman he craves body and soul?

My review: The Immortals After Dark series holds a place on the upper echelon of my all time favorite paranormal romance books. I always look forward to the entertaining adventures of whichever couple the author has created each time. In the tenth title of this timeless series, the witch Carrow has been captured and held prisoner on an island run by the Order. Torques are placed on all of the Immortal prisoners to restrain their powers so they can be experimented on by barbaric humans seeking answers to their questions about their powers. The humans have deemed any Immortal "miscreants" and their ultimate mission is to destroy them all.

On the outside Carrow is a party girl, one who enjoys life, but inside is where she keeps the pain of a loveless childhood. When another witch is murdered, her daugher, Ruby, is left an orphan. Carrow knows she must step up and raise the child as her own. Except the Order has now made Ruby a prisoner and has offered Carrow a deal to save both their lives. This deal entails traveling to the hellish plane, Oblivion, to lure back a uniquely powerful demon the Order wants. The notorious demon Malkom has been alone for centuries but when he first catches the scent of a female in his world, he knows she is special and sent for him. Carrow is on a mission, to lure back a nightmarish demon. She never figured on falling in love.

I liked the tough talking, partying Carrow from other books and I was glad she was receiving her own story. But after completing the novel I didn't feel for her the way I wanted to. I thought there was too much time spent on the worldbuilding of the Island and the humans who run the facility. Eventhough I did find out a lot about both Malkom and Carrow's past, the sections when they were together didn't fully convince me why they belonged together besides the usual finding-your-mate reason. I wanted to be convinced these two should be a wonderful couple and I wanted to see more of Carrow in action as a witch. I know the torque prevented her from using her powers while held captive on the island but for those six days in Oblivion it was deactivated. The battle scenes which took place there were light on the actual battle scenes. The romance was aplenty but I didn't get a true sense behind their coupling. I thought the most convincing and tender scenes were between Carrow and Ruby. The spark wasn't there for me this time around (like it was when I read about Conrad and Neomi in Dark Needs at Night's Edge).

I know others have really enjoyed this book and to a certain degree, I did. I began the story with high expectations and ended it satisfied and entertained, but not loving it. Oh well, I'll see what it is store in the next title in this series.

Rating: Liked it

Favorite excerpt: "Could Carrow actually surrender herself to him, allowing him to claim her? The night before when he'd been in the throes, he'd broken her wrist in seconds.

The idea of her body naked and defenseless for his use sent chills through her. Chills of fear. Only fear.

There had to be another way to save Ruby without getting herself mauled by an abomination.

When he began circling her, she pivoted to keep him in sight."

Cover comment: I expected the model to have a broader chest based upon the description of Malkom. Otherwise, this cover is a typical addition to the others in this series.

Book source: Swapped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop