Trance by Linda Gerber

Reading Level: YA
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Speak; Original edition (October 14, 2010)

Book Summary: Ashlyn Greenfield has always known when bad things are going to happen. Each time that familiar tingling at the back of her neck begins, she knows what’s to come - a trance. She’s pulled in, blindsided, an unwilling witness to a horrible upcoming event. But she’s never been able to stop it’s not even when the vision was of her mother’s fatal car accident. When soulful Jake enters Ashlyn’s life, she begins having trances about another car accident. And as her trances escalate, one thing becomes clear: it’s up to her to save Jake from near-certain death.

My Review: Ashlyn and her sister Kyra are gifted; they can see events in the future. The way it works is that both sisters witness the same vision, but are limited to observe specific details. The sisters have yet to figure out how exactly they can piece their trances together. One night, while at a party, Ashlyn ignores a trance Kyra has which she soon regrets.

I couldn’t help but to feel sympathetic for Ashlyn. Her mother is gone; her father, always in his office or away on business trips. And to make matters worse, Ashlyn’s sister, Kyra abandons whatever remains of her family. Without anyone to trust with her secret, Ashlyn finds herself stuck without support. Of course there’s Michelle, Ashlyn’s best friend, but Ashlyn isn’t too sure about how she would handle the whole “trance” situation. So, when Ashlyn is transferred to work at the ShutterBugz kiosk in the local mall, she meets someone that will prove crucial to her plight. Gina, Ashlyn’s quirky work partner, is completely understanding and knowledgeable of the divine, but I won’t let any spoilers out so I will stop here!

Gerber does an excellent job making her writing feel authentic and real. The dialogue between the main characters is very genuine and rings true to me. Speaking of genuine matters, I thought that Gina was the perfect touch for this story! She provides a sense of humor while also bringing Ashlyn to reality and giving her great advice. I enjoyed the scenes Gina appeared in and thought that her knowledge of numerology brought a degree of reality to the story. Who knows, maybe some of the stuff she talks about can actually happen?

The one prominent drawback of Trance is that I found some parts of the book predictable. I knew who was in the trances Ashlyn was having WAY before she figured it out, just as I figured who the guy on the motorcycle in the beginning chapters was before she did. I mean, come on, why would Gerber place so much emphasis on this guy on a motorcycle if he wasn’t going to play a role later on? I’m pretty sure I’m not the only reader that was able to pick up on these clues so easily, but if predictability doesn’t bother you, Trance is otherwise a wonderful, quick read!

Trance contains a truly captivating concept and genuine characters. If you are looking for a fast-paced storyline with the perfect blend of romance and mystery than this is the right one for you! I will be sure to check out what’s next up for author Linda Gerber.

Rating: +++1/2

Excerpt: “But I did remember her. I remembered every long Sunday morning going to church with my mother while Sister Eaton and the other ladies from my mother’s prayer group whispered behind their hands, casting scandalized looks in our direction. I remembered how they gathered forced when Janelle’s mom told everyone Kyra had claimed to her husband’s heart attack before it happened. I remembered how she was the one who convinced my mother that trance writers were like mediums and received messages from dead people. Mediums, she said, were of the devil. Good little girls did not commune with dead people. I remembered her and another of the ladies stopping by our house to lecture my mother when she finally gave up and stopped dragging us to church.” (Page 136, ARC Edition)

Cover Comment: Honestly, this cover looks rushed and bordering cheesy. Judging from its clichéd cover, I would not pick up Trance off of a bookshelf at first glance.

Book Source: We Love YA! Tours

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this one, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. contains a truly captivating concept and genuine characters. If you are looking for a fast-paced storyline with the perfect blend of romance and mystery than this is the right one for you! I will be sure to check out what’s next up for author Linda Gerber.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop