The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Harlequin; Original edition (August 1, 2010)

BOOK SUMMARY: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan
has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

MY REVIEW: The Iron King was one of my favorite fantasies this year so I couldn't wait to see what would happen to Meghan and her assorted gang of otherworldly friends. I dove into The Iron Daughter hoping the novel would meet and exceed my expectations.

For the most part the book did. Kagawa excites and entertains with such a vast array of creatures and settings. Her pacing makes this story a quick but totally involved story. I really liked the Winter Court, especially those frozen statues in the courtyard. The action scenes involving Ash's brothers were exciting. Later on 'The Between' and the addition of a human man named Charles gave the story an added edge and dimension. Even having the big showdown between Meg's gang and the iron fae take place in Silicon Valley was a plus. All I can say is Virus got what she dished. I was happy to see some favorite characters return. Who doesn't like Grimalkin? And the surprising change of character for another mechanical animal was innovative and I liked his turnaround. The author gave us another thrilling installment in Meghan Chase's life.

And here is where my only complaint lies. I really wanted to see Meghan grow more in this second book and to not spend so much time relying on the guys to defend her or brooding over her boyfriend troubles. As the daughter of the Summer King I wanted her to spend some time trying to figure out who and what she was. The author did give a reason as to Meghan's inability to use her powers and she did have a decent kicking butt scene towards the end (which I can only conclude was foreshadowing of what to expect next). The Winter Formal scene left me expecting more from Meghan's love triangle. Kagawa has proven herself to be a fantastic storyteller and I bet my concerns will be answered.

Adventure, fun, heartbreak and romance abound in The Iron Daughter. Enter Kagawa's realm of unforgettable characters and be prepared to be entertained. I can't wait to see what the next book, The Iron Queen, has in store when it is published next year.

RATING: ++++

FAVORITE EXCERPT: (From page 259, ARC edition)
"Puck shoved me away as Ash leaped across the room, his sword coming down in a sapphire blur. I hit the floor, wincing as the ice scraped my palms and bruised my knees. With my back against the wall, I watched Puck and Ash battle in the middle of the living room, feeling dead inside and out. I couldn't save him. Ash was lost to me now, and worse, one of them was going to die. If Puck won, Ash would be killed. But if Ash emerged victorious, I would lose everything, including my own life. I guess I should've been rooting for Puck, but the cold despair in my heart kept me from feeling anything."

COVER COMMENT: Simple and pretty.

BOOK SOURCE: Digital galley from publisher at Netgalley

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop