Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (October 12, 2010) 

Book summary: BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

My review: After listening to Donnelly speak about her novel at the Millbrook Book Festival's YA panel last May, I knew I had to read this. Wow. Simple word, simple meaning, but that's how I felt when I closed the cover. Reading isn't even a strong enough word--experience is more like it. This book was one of the best I've read in a long time. Revolution transported me to places close by--Brooklyn (I grew up in the Bronx, but my grandma lived in this borough and I always loved traveling over the Brooklyn Bridge to visit her) and then to Paris--which I wanted to see during college. This novel showed me two worlds and two different historical periods, today and a time during the French revolutionary. Revolution never released it's grip on me.

I'll start off by saying I loved Andi's voice. Her snark, her way of looking at things, her heartbreak and vulnerability, and in particular, her love of music, all made her incredibly real. The way she holds her guitar, regards music, the song quotes, she was a multi-faceted young woman on a journey to claim back her life. When her younger brother Truman was so viciously taken from her and her family, Andi lost a huge part of her life. This novel--at 496 pages--is her trip to hell and back. The trip is worthwhile.

I used to believe historical fiction was stuffy, boring and for people who loved history. My foolish thinking has radically changed. The author deftly blends the present with the past, placing in details and items and history seamlessly all in an intriguing way. I wanted to know about Alexandrine's time and it was interesting and vivid when painted by Donnelly's words.

Revolution, certainly one of the best novels of 2010, is a story not just for teens but for all ages. Let Donnelly weave her charming tale of two young, strong women, and forget about life for a while--you will be captivated. I was.

Favorite excerpt: 
(From page 69, ARC)

     "Lili brings another bottle of wine. She disappears into the kitchen. By the time she's bringing out plates and cutlery--an hour later--the guitar is waxed and restrung. I tune it and when I'm finished, G says, "Play something for us."

     I look up at him, still uncertain.

     "It survived the Revolution. It will survive you," he says.

     I can't decide where to begin. Making music on an instrument like this feels like being with a boy who's so hot, you have to kiss him everywhere all at once. I take a breath and start with a Scarlatti sonata. Then "Come As You Are." I jump back in time to Rameau. Then Bach. Then a couple of tunes by Gomez. And then I stop because I'm sweating and breathless and the sound of clapping startles me. Because I forgot. Forgot they were here. Forgot I was.

     "Brava!" Lili shouts.

     "Encore! Encore!" G says, clapping like a maniac.

     Dad's clapping, too. In big wide sweeps. Like someone's making him. I put the guitar back in its case and join them at the table."

Rating: +++++

Cover comment: A perfect match. Andi and Alexandrine, two girls from two distinct time periods, and the red ribbon and key which connects the two. Can't get any better than that.

Book source: Around the World tours

Reviewed by: Laurie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop