Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love, edited by Trisha Telep

Publisher: Running Press Kids (August 2010)
Page Count: 432
Reading Level: YA


Book summary: If you can possibly thirst for more mysterious metaphysical accounts of love, Trisha Telep has organized some of the greatest and most thrilling tales of paranormal paramours since The Eternal Kiss. She presents the acclaimed literary talent of thirteen unique authors, creating a collection of stories that will undoubtedly capture the imagination of every soul who dares to read them. Werewolves, ghosts, zombies, vampires, and fallen angels drive the plot of these riveting romances.

Kiss Me Deadly includes the exceptional writings of several authors, including:

• Sarah Rees Brennan (faeries)
• Becca Fitzpatrick (angels)
• Caitlin Kittredge (witches)
• Karen Mahoney (vampires: sequel to story from The Eternal Kiss)
• Daniel Marks (ghost kids)
• Justine Musk (sorcerers)
• Diana Peterfreund (unicorns)
• Michelle Rowen (demons)
• Carrie Ryan (zombies)
• Maggie Stiefvater (werewolves)
• Rachel Vincent (banshees)
• Daniel Waters (zombies)
• Michelle Zink (gothic ghosts)

My review: I am usually not a fan of short stories. In the past year or so I've read quite a few compilations and have enjoyed many of their offerings. Now along comes Kiss Me Deadly and I'm hooked on the short story format. I've also discovered some new authors I definitely have to check out.

What an amazing array of authors in one book! Some of my favorite writers have been  included in here and I really liked what I read. Some featured new couples, some established relationships never appreciated, and others held the promise of something new but dangerous or even deadly. There were some stories I enjoyed so much I wanted to keep reading more. Some of my favorites included: Michelle Zink's story, The Assassin's Apprentice. Her story started off the anthology with an intriguing story. Rose is newly orphaned, bent on seeking revenge on the demon who caused her world to drastically change, and just as she's close to getting her wish she is stopped by an unusual stranger. I liked the whole Rose and Asher dynamic and I would like to read more of Zink's world of Descendants (the offspring of angels) and the Assassins sent to protect them.

The Spirit Jar made me an instant fan of Karen Mahoney's writing. A newbie vamp named Moth has her sights set on a magical book and during her robbery attempt she comes face-to-face with a good looking guy who is half Djinn. Fearless by Rachel Vincent featured Nash (pre-Kaylee), one of my favorite characters from her Soul Screamers series. This time around he's with someone new, a young woman named Sabine with a scary ability. Let's just say I wouldn't want her roaming around inside my head. 

I was pleasantly surprised by Daniel Water's Many Happy Returns, and loved how this story of human loss and zombies ended. Caitlin Kitteridge's Behind the Red Door had my eyes racing across the page. LuvLuvLuv ghost stories and creepy houses inhabited by mysterious spirits. Maggie Stiefvater's story, The Hounds of Ulster, had a nice surprise ending. And Carrie Ryan returned us to the Forest of Hands and Teeth with Hare Moon. There was a cool world of unicorns and sacrificial ceremonies in Errant by Diana Peterfreund, and an interesting spiritual world in Daniel Marks' Vermillion. Michelle Rowan's Familiar was incredibly sweet and featured a cute couple, the witch-in-training Brenda and her new familiar, the shapeshifting Owen. Sarah Rees Brennan has updated Peter Pan in the amusing The Spy Who Wouldn't Grow Up and Becca Fitzpatrick's closing story, Dungeons of Langeais (a Hush, Hush story) had me reaching for my copy of Crescendo.

I did enjoy some more than others but I was also happy to see each story was entertaining and many featured new spins on old supernatural creatures and lore. The book summary is a little off and I thought some stories had more romance to offer than others. The collection which comprises Kiss Me Deadly is sure to please any paranormal and contemporary fantasy fan. I know the published edition of this wonderful book will become part of my library.

Rating: ++++

Favorite excerpt: "He touches my cheek with warm fingertips and something inside me breaks. The tide of loneliness that I hold back, day after day, rushes through the breach and I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from crying. Remember what you promised, I tell myself. No more tears. Never again.

He is stroking my face, pushing my tangled hair out of the way, and his eyes are filled with compassion beyond his years. It reminds me, just a little, of the way Theo looks at me when he is in one of his better moods. The lump in my throat expands to the size of a fist.

Adam's expression is deadly serious. "Feed from me," he says. His voice is steady and sure.

I blink and try to push him away. This isn't what I expected. I thought maybe he'd help me find one of Theo's London contacts. Or even that he might offer to steal hospital supplies with me--his Houdini super-powers would come in very handy for that--but this . . . this strangely innocent offer is a surprise." --from Karen Mahoney's The Spirit Jar (page 96, ARC edition).

Cover comment: I found the cover to be okay, nothing ground shaking, and after finishing this compilation I thought the cover could have shown a hint of something more exciting to convey the content of these terrific stories.

Book source: 1 ARC Tours

Comments

  1. Is it 13 different books or is Kiss Me Deadly the only book that contains stories from all the authors?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop