The Exiled Queen (A Seven Realms Novel) by Cinda Williams Chima

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 592 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH (September 28, 2010)

Book summary: You can't always run from danger...
Haunted by the loss of his mother and sister, Han Alister journeys south to begin his schooling at Mystwerk House in Oden’s Ford. But leaving the Fells doesn’t mean danger isn’t far behind. Han is hunted every step of the way by the Bayars, a powerful wizarding family set on reclaiming the amulet Han stole from them. And Mystwerk House has dangers of its own. There, Han meets Crow, a mysterious wizard who agrees to tutor Han in the darker parts of sorcery—but the bargain they make is one Han may regret.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna runs from a forced marriage in the Fells, accompanied by her friend Amon and his triple of cadets. Now, the safest place for Raisa is Wein House, the military academy at Oden's Ford. If Raisa can pass as a regular student, Wein House will offer both sanctuary and the education Raisa needs to succeed as the next Gray Wolf queen. 


My review: I have become a loyal fan of Cinda Williams Chima. The Demon King hooked me into her dazzling world of the Seven Realms; The Exiled Queen had me enthralled. Han and Raisa have changed from the first book and their adventures are never boring. There were quite a few nice surprises here and more characters introduced. The schools they both attend, Mystwerk House for newling wizard Han, and the military Wein House for Raisa, are both fully realized places, as is the town of Oden's Ford. The slew of new faces, Raisa's roommates Hallie and Talia, Dean Abelard, instructor Gryphon, officer Karn, King Montaigne, and the very mysterious Crow, were all welcome additions to a fabulous fantasy world.

The Exiled Queen effectively combines the power and loss of friendship, the wonders of love and pull of attraction as well as heartbreak, the churning tides of politics and the differences between the classes (socially and economically--both showcased in this title) along with magic, diverse clan folklore, adventure and action, and intriguing mysteries, all  into one continually compelling story.

Raisa learns more about herself, her mother's disturbing actions and her love for Byrne. Han, who has become my favorite fictional character of 2010, discovers being a wizard and having a powerful jinxpiece in his possession comes with its own consequences. Dancer is so refreshingly comfortable in his copperhead skin as he takes on the role of flash metalsmith apprentice. Amon comes candidly clean to his Princess about his position in her life and the role he is made to play in it. And as for the Bayars, Micah and Fona are simply themselves: demanding, loyal to their family name and self righteously smug (though I suspect Fiona's character may have an interesting role in further installments). Old faces make welcome returns, including thief girl Cat who undergoes a transformation and gains a boyfriend, and Bird, now a full Demonai warrior. 

There has to be so much work done to write this series and Chima makes it sound so easy as her story pours out effortlessly across the pages. I was so into this novel I clearly forgot about its bulk of 590 pages. This is one series I'm fully enjoying and am happy to admit can't wait to read the next installment.

Favorite excerpt: (From pages 522-523, ARC edition)

     ""You know, Micha, that first night, when I saw you on Bridge Street, I wanted to hush you. I wanted to cut your throat and watch your blood soak into the dirt. I wanted to wrap a strangle cord around your neck and throttle you while you kicked and messed yourself."

     "I'm shaking in my boots," Micah said, looking Han dead in the eyes.

     Han stood and took a step toward him. "I'm what's hiding in the side street when you walk home from The Four Horses," he said. "I'm the shadow in Greystoke Alley when you go out to take a piss. I'm the footpad in the corridor when you visit the girlie at Grievous Hall."

     Micah's eyes narrowed, his self-assurance wilting a bit. Han could tell he was going back over a hundred suspicious sights and sounds. "You've been following me?"

     "I can come and go from your room, any time I want," Han said. "I can tell you what you say when you talk in your sleep. I know what your down-low girlie whispers in your ear." He laughed. "You can't keep me out of any place I want to be in. I would've known about Cat sooner, but you always met with her when I was in class."

     Micah licked his lips. "Perhaps you take some kind of perverse pleasure in stalking me, but--"

     "What I'm saying is, if I wanted you dead, you would be dead a dozen ways by now. I let you live because now I got a different plan. You Bayars need to learn that you can't have everything you want. I'm going to teach you. This is just the beginning.""

Cover comment: Ties in well with the first cover in the series.

Rating: ++++1/2

Book source: Around the World tours

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop