The Broken Lake by Shelena Shorts (The Pace Series, Book Two)

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC (August 19, 2010)

Book summary: In the aftermath of Sophie's ordeal, Weston will make some uncharacteristic decisions to distance himself from the past in an attempt to change the future.

But, while venturing into the improbable, the present sneaks up in a chilling way that will lead to Wes' unexpected submission. Suddenly, Sophie will find herself watching as both his immortal secret and his own existence are threatened.


My review: In the first installment of this series, The Pace, we learned what Wes is and who Sophie is. Book two delivers upon the promises made in the first. The Broken Lake offers us a 'more' fest: more excitement (including a murder), more of both Wes and Sophie's backgrounds, more characters are introduced, and of course, there is more romance. The creep who kidnapped Sophie close to the end of the first book is taken care of by Wes, but we learn he had a grandson. Sophie begins to piece together the puzzle which has overtaken her and Wes' life.

Sophie really begins to grow up, pondering the motivations of the people around her and she learns not to trust so easily. Wes has dropped some of his overprotective manners in order to be able to enjoy his time with Sophie. It was great to finally see Sophie's old friend, Kerry, make a welcome appearance when Sophie takes Wes on a ski trip in her old home state of Virginia. At the home front, Sophie sees some unwelcome changes happen at the bookstore she works at, and another twist occurs late in this interesting story which only makes the novel more compelling.

The Broken Lake held my attention and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The characters are fully realized, the storyline has layers and depth, and with its cliffhanger ending, I find myself anxiously awaiting the next book.

Favorite excerpt: 
From pages 212-213 in the ARC edition.
     ""I love you, Sophie." His arm wrapped around me and he buried his face in my chest.
     I realized then, that not only was he mine to love forever, he was mine to care for forever. He needed me as much, if not more, than I needed him, and lying there together made me see that.
     As perfect and indestructible as he was physically, he was vulnerable emotionally. And this was what I was there for. This is what he'd been missing for decades, someone to love him and care for him in a way that made him willing to give up everything for that person. In the way that I did.
     Somehow, the fire was still racing through my veins, even though we had stopped kissing minutes ago. The burning was still there, the passion, the desire, the spark. It was lingering within me, and I felt so alive, so needed, and so wanted.
     "I love you too," I whispered."

Cover comment: Some may think the picture is boring  but I think it makes total sense after reading the book.

Rating: ++++

Series: Yes,with the cliffhanger ending of book two in The Pace series, there will be a number three.

Book source: Around the World tours

Reviewed by: Laurie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop