Boys are Dogs By Leslie Margolis

Reading level: Middle Grade (Ages 9-12)
Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books; Reprint edition (October 13, 2009)

Book summary: Annabelle’s all-girls elementary was very different from Birchwood Middle School where the boys run through the halls like wild animals. But with a little experimenting, Annabelle realizes that like her new puppy, maybe boys can be trained too.

Featuring Annabelle’s hilarious take on friendship, boys, and her all-new life, this novel / survival guide perfectly captures the joy—and agony—of junior high school. And it might just teach you how to tame the wildest beast of all, the teenage boy.


My review: Annabelle's used to her all girls elementary school and living in an apartment with her mom. Things change big time when she's forced to live in a house in the suburbs along with Dweeble, her mom's new boyfriend, and go to a co-ed public school. But there's even more in store for Annabelle--a puppy. At least she has a puppy training book to help her along the way. With that problem solved, a new problem evolves. Annoying, chair kicking, report stealing middle school boys. Too bad there's not a boy training book. . . .


A middle school-er myself, I know that middle school's tough--especially if there's boys around. I really loved how the author captured the perfect tween voice. Although I thought what the boys did was a little exaggerated compared to my own experiences in 6th grade last year, every school is different. But I liked how the book didn't have a boring part in it, or any un-interesting scenes.


Boys Are Dogs was absorbing, yet funny, and a heartwarming quick read. From the jokes about Dweeble to all of the 6th grade dramas, this book was great. In the end I think both Annabelle and the reader learn a great life lesson, that sometimes you really have to get to know someone to really understand them and get along with them and that you should never judge a book by its cover (or its corny jokes).


Favorite excerpt: (Page193 last paragraph, Advanced Readers Copy)
"It's funny. I knew I'd changed but now I realized that Jackson had too, although I'm not sure why. Maybe he was impressed that I'd finally stood up for myself, or maybe he just wanted to use my new hoop. It didn't really matter. Things were different tonight. And they'd be different from now on. I'd make sure of it."


Rating:++++


Cover comment: The cover is a cute picture of Annabelle's puppy Pepper, and herself.


Book source: Gift

Comments

  1. It was a great book. the title was definitely the truth. And maybe it was exaggerrated a bit, but that helped make it funnier. I LOVED it. I am amiddle-schooler and i am thinking that puppy-training a boy can apply to real life as well. I'm goona try it for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ THE BOOK, & IF U DON'T LIKE IT YOU'RE CRAZY!!!! (unless you're a boy, 'cause then it makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously awesome book. Especially if u like to see boys getting humiliated

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time i read a book so good. ( I'm kidding i can, but it was as good as that one)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop