The Pace by Shelena Shorts (The Pace Series, Book One)

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 312 pages
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC (August 19, 2009)

Book summary: Weston Wilson is not immortal and he is of this world. But, aging is not part of his existence, and eighteen-year-old Sophie Slone is determined to find out why. In doing so, she could also uncover something about her own life expectancy that she may not want to know. Suddenly, immortality will mean everything and nothing all at the same time.

My review: I liked the premise of this story and dived right into it. Shorts has crafted an interesting, highly entertaining and enjoyable story. Sophie literally bumps into Weston by accidentally ramming her car into his. Immediately she is drawn to this good looking stranger. Over time they talk and become friends. From there Sophie knows her feelings for him run deeper than any she's had before. 
Wes is an interesting character with an intriguing background. I don't want to give too much away but readers who enjoy contemporary fantasy and paranormal stories will like this. 

The author is very thorough with conveying high school senior Sophie's thoughts and her life. We learn about Wes through her eyes and experience her growing feelings for him as she does. Sophie could be naive at times (for which her moving around from place to place with her mom and her attending an online high school made sense). At other times I thought her word choice was too adult. But I'll also happily admit that was nice to read and made her character realistic (at 18 she's not fully an adult and no longer a child so I liked the occasional contradiction in her voice). 

Wes did come across as the stereotypical "perfect" boyfriend, but then the author gave us an interesting twist in his storyline and I understood why he is this way. I really liked how Shorts developed her characters and their relationship. As for the story's conflict and plot, much of it does revolve around Sophie and Wes--both of their lives are interwoven with the other--and by employing science, spirituality, reincarnation and romance, The Pace becomes an intriguingly addictive read.

Favorite excerpt: "I ran through our whole kiss in my mind as we walked back to the car. It was my first real kiss, and I wished I could read his mind to gauge his reaction. It was so very frustrating. I was used to being in such control of myself, and for the first time, I felt like I was unraveling into someone else. Someone who wanted this guy more than anything else in the world. The feeling I had when I was with him was indescribable. My brain knew so little about him, but my heart felt like it knew everything, and that made me sure I wanted him. I knew that day, that I would never be the same again. I didn't just want him in my life, I felt like I was supposed to be with him, even if it didn't make sense." (Pages 74-75.)

Rating: +++1/2

Series: Yes. The Broken Lake will be released in August.

Cover comment: The hourglass is an interesting choice of graphic in the cover picture and after reading the book I realized just how symbolic it was.
Book source: Owned.

Reviewed by: Laurie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop