Crossing by Andrew Xia Fukada


Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 217 pages
Publisher: AmazonEncore (April 27, 2010)

Book Summary: A loner in his all-white high school, Chinese-born Xing (pronounced “Shing”) is a wallflower longing for acceptance. His isolation is intensified by his increasingly awkward and undeniable crush on his only friend, the beautiful and brilliant Naomi Lee. Xing’s quiet adolescent existence is rattled when a series of disappearances rock his high school and fear ripples through the blue collar community in which he lives. 

Amidst the chaos surrounding him, only Xing, alone on the sidelines of life, takes notice of some peculiar sightings around town. He begins to investigate with the hope that if he can help put an end to the disappearances, he will finally win the acceptance for which he has longed. However, as Xing draws closer to unveiling the identity of the abductor, he senses a noose of suspicion tightening around his own neck. While Xing races to solve the mystery and clear his name, Crossing hurtles readers towards a chilling climax.

My Review: In my previous reviews, I have dished out nothing but positive feedback on the majority of books I have read. Adrew Xia Fukada has not let me down with his novel, Crossing.

The main character, Xing (Kris), is faced with being the only Chinese male at the otherwise all-white Slackenkill High School. The other students ignore Kris as if he is invisible, and the ones who do notice him use him as a target for bullying. Kris’s best friend Naomi (the only other Asian student attending his school), and his love for music are what keeps him motivated.

When the killings begin, Kris has a view unlike anyone else. As an outsider, he is able to see the crimes as a bigger picture. As he moves closer to unveiling the suspect, Kris begins to develop upon the beautiful voice he once had as a child. His music teacher is stunned by Kris’ talent and he quickly lands the lead role in the school’s upcoming musical. This provides the chance for Kris to prove his worth to his fellow classmates, teachers, and townsfolk who have continuously neglected him over the years. However, when the evidence begins pointing towards Kris, he is forced to make a decision that will change his life. I loved how the novel ends with a cliffhanger, leaving the reader to his/her own interpretation of the following events.

Fukada’s descriptions of Kris’ childhood memories in China are absolutely beautiful, and made me want to jump into the painting of China Kris’ father made for his son. Great read! Definitely leaves you thinking for hours after the last page has been turned!

Rating: ++++

Favorite Excerpt:   (Page 31, ARC Edition)

“And I sang. I felt the words arch up out of me like molten ore. All these years, bottled within, germinating, now finding release. The music vibrated in me, a jaunty horse restless to be released. I felt the cadence of the song, a flowing carpet that lifted me high. I harnessed my voice, nuanced out the slightest inflections of sounds. And when at last the final note trailed out into stillness, I was breathless.

I opened my eyes. I saw the look of wonder on my face in the hazy mirror. I was shaking slightly from side to side. Trembling.

The door. Sometime during my singing, it had opened and I hadn’t even noticed. There was someone standing there. He had one hand lifted in front of his gaping mouth like a shy geisha. Astonished. Bewildered. Stupefied.

Enchanted.

It was Mr. Matthewman.”

Cover Comment: Very interesting, eye catching, holds much significance and symbolism for the story.

Book Source: Crazy Book Tours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop