Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia

**2010 Debut Author Challenge List**
Reading level: YA
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing LLC (May 18, 2010)


Summary: Seventeen-year-old Teagan McNeel falls for captivating Garreth Adams and soon discovers that her crush has an eight-point star etched into the palm of his right hand-the mark of an angel.

But where there is light, dark follows, and she and Garreth suddenly find themselves vulnerable to a dark angel's malicious plan that could threaten not only her life, but the lives of everyone she knows.

Divinely woven together, Angel Star takes readers on a reflective journey when one angel's sacrifice collides with another angel's vicious ambition in a way that is sure to have readers searching for their own willpower.

My review: Angels are now up there on the top of the paranormal/fantasy shelf, right alongside vampires, werewolves and fairies. And why not? Reading too much of one type can become boring or predictable. Murgia's take on the angel world was interesting--everyone has a Guardian who acts much like our instinct, that voice we hear at times inside our heads. Teagan has one named Garreth. She can feel him but hasn't been able to see him. Until one day at school. She is drawn to the new guy like a magnet and he to her. Then her story begins.

Teagan is special and it has to do with her father and his own Guardian, Hadrian, who is the brother of the infamous Lucifer. Hadrian has a plan and he has been corrupting Guardians to use towards achieving his goal. The only thing, or in this case, person, is Teagan. Can she overcome her fear and take on Hadrian or succumb to his dark ways? 

I thought Murgia's angelic world in Angel Fire was interesting and refreshing. I also liked how the author had Teagan discover she has both a light and a darkness inside her and by the end of this first installment our heroine is trying to figure out exactly how to live with both sides. I did have questions about the angels and their world and hope to find out more in the second book, Lemnescate. There was a nice blend of angel lore, romance and action along with plenty of introspection by Teagan, helping me to understand her better. There have a lot of books featuring love triangles but in this case I thought it was necessary for Teagan to feel something for the alluring Hadrian (despite his dark ways she does see a spark of  something good which gives her hope). This development gave the story realism, charm and made Teagan's dilemna even more intriguing. I look forward to seeing what Murgia has in store for her readers in the second book.

Rating: +++1/2

Favorite excerpt: ""Is it true that you love me?" he whispered, leaning closer.
"Yes, it's true."
Then, leaning even closer, he placed the sweetest, softest kiss his lips could possibly allow on my lips. "You did mention Hadrian's name a few times. Not many, but a few."
"And?"
Do I really want to know?
He looked away for a moment, taking his light with him. I felt left in the dark in more ways than one.
Oops, what have I done?
"Garreth?"
He turned to me, the dim light of his skin illuminating my face.
"It was the way you said his name. As you slept, there were moments when you sounded downright terrified. I almost woke you up. I feel so guilty for leaving you to face him. And then, when your panic subsided. you... I don't know. You sounded almost as if it was Hadrian you wanted." (Page 208)

Book source: Other Shelf Tours

Reviewed by: Laurie

Comments

  1. I've got to admit, I haven't been sucked into the angel thing yet but this book does sound interesting. You're tempting me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop