Penitence by Jennifer Laurens

Reading level: YA
Page count: 322 pages
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing (April 29, 2010)

Summary: Book Two. Seeing good and evil spirits is a gift Zoe guards with her life. Despite her guardian angel's disappearance, Zoe forces herself to accept that she still has a purpose-but how does she carry the weight of her brother's drug abuse, the hardship of living with an autistic sister, and a best friend who's obsessed with a guy who only wants Zoe? She's never felt more alone. When a mysterious spirit appears, Zoe thinks she has a new guardian angel. Instead, her brother's addiction worsens, her parents are on the brink of separation, and her best friend tries to kill her. The spirit she thinks is her new guardian isn't there to protect her: he's out to destroy her family and seize Zoe's soul. . . for Hell. Will Matthias' return mean that he is Zoe's guardian angel again? Or is their love the reason the jaws of Hell now gape open?

My review: I'm glad I was able to read the first two books in this trilogy close together. In  Heavenly Laurens made party girl Zoe redeemable without having her change
drastically or too quickly. Zoe's struggle in the first story was internal--she had to figure out who she was and what she really believed in, especially after meeting her sister's guardian angel, Matthias. If I enjoyed Heavenly, I  loved Penitence. This time Zoe's conflict turns external with the emergence of two manipulative and bad characters (whom I won't mention in order to retain the surprise). The cliff hanging ending from book one was resolved and Zoe doesn't see Matthias, the angel she loves, for a while but after the opening emotional scene between them his absence was okay! 

There is certainly more to like (and in my case, devour) in this second installment. Zoe is not the only one prone to making mistakes. Matthias' action in protecting her results in his getting into trouble. When he does make an appearance it's powerful and moving.  Zoe has fully embraced her new lifestyle of no partying, no lying, and watching out for her younger addict brother, Luke. Her drinking best friend Britt also has a prominent role. 

What I really admire about Laurens' storytelling is in the way she has created a believable and touching love story between Zoe and Matthias. And now Zoe finds someone human caring for her (some readers may be surprised by this development). Both relationships are emotional and tug at your heart.

I don't want to divulge too much since this book has some nice twists, an interesting new character to watch out for (especially the scene near the end in Zoe's bedroom-hello!), and some action. We definitely see a new side to Matthias and there's even a hint at something big to come involving Luke and Abria. I must mention it is refreshing to read a YA novel where the main character lives with both parents and they have a healthy, normal relationship. Fans of the first book will certainly enjoy this.

My only concern were some editing errors which should have been caught and a small part of the storyline involving an injury Zoe sustains. She was so upset by this (I won't say what it is) but when she was released her worries weren't voiced again until page 303. I'm not a fan of cliffhanger endings and this one has one. The summary, like so many others, makes the story sound slightly different than it really is. There is no parental conflict until close to the end and the reference to "jaws of Hell" did throw me. 

Despite these minor glitches, Penitence truly engulfed me and made me a believer. I'm eagerly looking forward to reading Absolution.

Rating: ++++

Favorite excerpt:My feelings haven’t changed, Zoe. He reached out his hand, held it in the space between us, his eyes earnest, his body and aura suddenly swamping me with a warm, complete rush of love so encompassing, I tingled and sparked from toe to head. An involuntary breath rushed through my lungs, cleansing and pure, infusing me with him.

I looked at his extended hand and slowly reached for it, my own hand trembling with longing. I won’t touch you, I thought, wanting to reassure him. Our fingertips hovered parallel, two fragile butterflies eager to join in oneness."  (Page 103.)

Cover comment: Similar to the cover for Heavenly with Matthias gazing down from heaven, except this time the color is more somber and his look more pensive and concerned.

Series: Yes. There is a third title, Absolution.

For fans of: YA fantasy, supernatural, angels, love stories.

Book source: Around the World Tours

Reviewed by: Laurie

Comments

  1. Ooo...it looks like I'll have to add these two to my TBR list. They look wonderful! So glad you enjoyed them, and thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop