It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (April 2010)
Page Count: 275
Age: YA


Summary: Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?

It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.

But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.

My review: From the opening line of "It was a hot summer day in Cousins," I wanted to know more about this Jenny Han novel. Belly was a realistic teen girl, her feelings caught between two brothers--Conrad is the guy she thinks she loves and Jeremiah is her friend, someone she can be herself with. Told both in present and through flashbacks, the story flowed and I enjoyed also reading from Jeremiah's viewpoint in certain chapters.

The entire story was convincing and the scenes involving Belly's now deceased aunt Susannah were incredibly touching. I liked the family dynamics with both Belly's family, especially between her and her mom, and Conrad and Jeremiah with their dad. Having so much of the book take place at the beach was great, the summer house and the ocean were secondary characters. The last part of this book had my eyes racing from page to page, wondering what would happen and laughing at some of the funny parts (the scene with Belly's mom and Jeremiah's dad was great). Han's story also had poignant parts but I never felt too sad. Her characters were so well written. Belly grew up in this book and learned to let go of a relationship which never really existed between her and Conrad. 

It's Not Summer Without You may have the word summer in its title but it's a really good read any time of the year. I really liked this contemporary fictional novel and think it would fit in nicely on my book shelf right alongside my Sarah Dessen and K. L. Going books.

Favorite excerpt: (Page 203, ARC edition)


"Yes," he said. "I forgive you. Now stop crying, all right?"
I stepped toward him, closer and closer still, and he didn't back away. We were close enough to kiss. I was holding my breath, wanting so badly for things to be like before.
I took one step closer, and that's when he said, "Let's go back, okay?"
Conrad didn't wait for me to answer him. He just started walking away, and I followed. I felt like I was going to be sick.
Just like that, the moment was over. It was an almost moment, where almost anything could have happened. But he had made it be over." 

Series: Companion book to the first novel, The Summer I Turned Pretty.

Rating: ++++

Cover comment: This is one of those covers that makes me say "Yeah, they got it right." I pictured Belly like that and I'm glad the model's face is covered by her hair that way. 

Book source: Around the World Tours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop