The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams by Rhonda Hayter

Reading level: MG
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Dial (4/1/2010) 

Summary: Abbie Adams and her family come from a long line of witches. One day her father brings home a kitten. But when Abbie looks into the kitten's eyes, she realizes there's a boy in there. The family is shocked to realize he's none other than the young Thomas Edison, and if they don't save him fast, he'll never change the world with his inventions. 

My review: This was a magical book in many ways. From the very beginning, I felt as if I was in the book right alongside the main character, Abbie Adams, trying to help Tom the cat by using my witch powers. But then I was snapped back into reality and suddenly.... My powers were gone. 

The great thing about reading books is being able to get lost inside of them. Since Rhonda Hayter created a cool magical world of witches and a cat who is really a human--in fact he's Thomas Edison!--I was able to do just that. I loved the story, especially the ending which I won't give away. 

My only dislike of the entire story was on the last page. It was sweet, but I think with what was said on the page before it made this particular page less exciting or amazing. But overall, this was a very enjoyable book. If you're looking for a page-flipping Middle Grade adventure story, you should really check this one out. 

Favorite scene: "You're a very brave girl, Miss Adams," he said.
That was nice to hear, but I knew this was one very brave girl who was in a whole lot of trouble with her mom right now." (page 228) 

Cover comment: The cover has a cute illustration of Abbie and her cat Tom, along with some of her spell books. The artwork gave the book a 'charming' feel and I liked it. 

Rating: ++++ 

For fans of: This Totally Bites by Ruth Ames (Poison Apple series); MG fantasy. 

Book source: Other Shelf Tours 

Reviewed by: Caitlin

Comments

  1. Great review Caitlin, sounds like a fun read, I'll have to add it to my TBR list to read in the future, thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop