Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

  • **2010 Debut Author Challenge List**
  • Reading level: Young Adult Hardcover: 400 pages Publisher: EgmontUSA (July 13, 2010)
  • SummaryAfter her sister Athena's tragic death, it's obvious that grief-stricken Persephone "Phe" Archer no longer belongs in Los Angeles. Hoping to make sense of her sister's sudden demise and the cryptic dreams following it, Phe abandons her bubbly LA life to attend an uptight East Coast preparatory school in Shadow Hills, MA -- a school which her sister mysteriously mentioned in her last diary entry before she died. 
  • Once there, Phe quickly realizes that something is deeply amiss in her new town. Not only does Shadow Hills' history boast an unexplained epidemic that decimated hundreds of its citizens in the 1700s, but its modern townies also seem eerily psychic, with the bizarre ability to bend metal. Even Zach -- the gorgeous stranger Phe meets and immediately begins to lust after -- seems as if he is hiding something serious. Phe is determined to get to the bottom of it. The longer she stays there, the more she suspects that her sister's untimely death and her own destiny are intricately linked to those who reside in Shadow Hills.
  • MY REVIEW: The paranormal genre has certainly been HOT in the YA market and with the slew of titles already released and others slated to be unveiled throughout this year, this field shows no signs of slowing down. SHADOW HILLS is a great addition into this field. 
  • Despite the over-used premise of a young girl at a new boarding school facing unknown secrets (how many titles have we already read this year alone with a similar set-up?), Hopcus takes this formula and adds her unique spin to it. What sets this novel apart from others is the storyline. I found the idea of the strange townspeople intriguing. The story itself is multi-faceted and doesn't  rely solely on just one idea. The author has woven genetics, mythology, science and history into a complex yet believable world. 

    The premise is well-executed and the writing is smooth and flowed seamlessly. Phe is a strong female character, refreshingly determined and highly spirited, and Zach had just the right amount of mysticism to make him very appealing. The secondary characters (especially Toy, Adriana, Corrine and Brody) are well rounded and interesting. SHADOW HILLS thoroughly held my attention and I really enjoyed it. Hopcus is an intriguing story teller and an author to admire. I look forward to reading her next novel.
    Once again Egmont has published another wonderfully unique supernatural tale. They have certainly become my favorite publishing company for YA titles.
FAVORITE SCENE: (from page 225, ARC edition)
"I forced myself to reach for the doorknob again. Cracking open the door, I peered out. The lights in the hall were flickering wildly, too, creating a strobe like effect. I eased open the door and, taking a deep breath, stepped out into the hall. I turned my head toward the far end of the corridor, and at that moment, a dark figure emerged from one of the rooms.

“Zach?” My voice was small and strangled. I could barely get the words past my closed-up throat. It felt like I was choking."

COVER COMMENT: I actually liked the cover art. The vivid red and orange of the flame or misty spirit is striking against the dark background and ties in nicely with the subject of the story. 

RATING: ++++

FOR FANS OF: Paranormal/ghost/supernatural stories.

BOOK SOURCE: Other Shelf Tours

REVIEWED BY: Laurie

Comments

  1. This book looks amamzing. I can't wait to read it-great review! I think what captured me to put this on my wishlist was your favorite scene!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop