Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Paperback: 294 pages
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing (August 15, 2009)
Language: English

Summary: I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.
My review: I have learned there are angel stories--often times too predictable and way too sweet and sappy--and then there angel stories--the ones in which the reader gets fully enmeshed. Heavenly is definitely one of those other stories about angels--the even rarer type with the ability to blow me away.

Zoe is a popular girl, best friends with Britt, THE prettiest senior in school. Abria is Zoe's autistic younger sister and Luke is her pothead younger brother. With both parents working and tied up with Abria with they are home, they don't realize their other kids are suffering. What I really liked about this novel was it never turned preachy or saccharine. The characters all have faults--some glaring--like Zoe with her tendency to party and search for the next hook up. 
Laurens shows us a young woman in transition--with her family, her friends, and herself. The reader is told the story through Zoe's eyes and her narration keeps the story real and grounded. 

Heavenly is an emotionally charged and touching novel. Laurens doesn't shy away from Abria's autism. Her character's words, feelings and dialog tackle living with this disability head on. At times her writing was so raw in its honesty and compelling my eyes teared up. And yet Heavenly is a stunning love story between Zoe and guardian angel Matthias. 

I highly recommend this novel. Heavenly is a powerful novel and will remain with the reader long after the book has been read. With the way this novel ended (I'm NOT telling) since I have Penitence lined up I can quickly dive back into Zoe and Matthias' continuing story.

Favorite scene: "I love you. He was too far away to hear the exuberant thoughts of my heart, thankfully. Yes, I love you. So much. A rush of emotion engulfed me. I blinked back the beginnings of tears.

His form was nearly out of my vision, his halo of hair glistening in the distance, when he turned and looked at me. My heart pounded. His gaze held mine across the busy expanse of the lunch area. Seconds turned into minutes. Bodies flowing between and around us seemed to wind down to slow motion. Mom's voice. Dad's. Abria's chattering. Every sound softened, melting into the slow...pounding...beat...of my heart.

Zoe.

Time blinked. In a flash he vanished." (Page 227.)

Cover comment: This cover with the clouds and Matthias' form gazing out is very effective in its simplicity.

Rating: ++++

For fans of: Contemporary, fantasy, supernatural, romantic YA.

Series: Yes. PENITENCE is the second novel.

Book source: Purchased.

Reviewed by: Laurie

Comments

  1. Sounds like this novel tackles a lot of really serious issues and yet still manages to be a great, engaging read involving paranormal elements. How can I say no to that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! Please check out my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop