Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Razorbill (August 25, 2009)

Summary: How far will Rose go to keep her promise?

The recent Strigoi attack at St. Vladimir's Academy was the deadliest ever in the school's history, claiming the lives of Moroi students, teachers, and guardians alike. Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them. . . including Dimitri.

He'd rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa--the one she has sworn to protect no matter what, and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago. But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the person she loves most? 


My review: The Vampire Academy series is one of my top favorite YA series (besides The Morganville Vampires). Book number four, Blood Promise, has only proven my affection for this series will continue. Mead's writing is strong, her action scenes are riveting and I only wish other authors writing in this genre could be this good. It's wonderful to still be surprised by characters I've grown to like and admire. Rose is my favorite character and here she is at her best. She is still strong but not perfect, loyal, smart and quick witted. When we last saw her in Shadow Kiss she was leaving the Academy to search for her true love, Dimitri. The novel begins with her in Russia, trying to find out information in her quest. Despite the slowness I wasn't bothered by the lack of non-action. Being a fan I knew Mead would hit us with something and she did. Alchemists. Rogue Guardians. A mysterious mobster. Dimitri's family. A community of Strigoi. And did I forget Dimitri himself in all his red-eyed, bad ass splendor?

Blood Promise is a thrill ride of a story. It's the type of book I wanted to devour but made myself read slowly to enjoy every unfolding drama, soak in every little detail, hear every word of dialog. I loved it. And when I can get to it I will open up Spirit Bound with the same expectations I approached this book with.

Favorite scene: "Dimitri.

I knew him instantly, even though he'd . . . changed. I think in a crowd of a million people, I would have recognized him. The connection between us would allow nothing else. And after being deprived of him for so long, I drank in every feature. The dark, chin-length hair, worn loose tonight and curling slightly around his face. The familiar set of lips, quirked now in an amused yet chilling smile. he even wore the duster he always wore, the long leather coat that could have come straight out of a cowboy movie."
 (Page 282.)

Cover comment: I like the cover, the closed eyes, her downcast look, the unknowing all set to a dark background.

Rating: ++++1/2

For fans of: Paranormal fantasy.

Book source: Purchased.

Reviewed by: Laurie 

Comments

  1. I am currently reading this book, finished soon, and I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop