This Totally Bites! by Ruth Ames

  • Reading level: Ages 9-12
  • Mass Market Paperback: 208 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Paperbacks (May 1, 2010)

BOOK DESCRIPTION: Twelve-year-old Emma-Rose Paley has always felt different from her bubbly, outgoing parents. Unlike them, Emma-Rose has pale skin and jet-black hair, is quiet and moody, and prefers gray weather to sunshine. She also hates the taste of garlic, has very sharp incisors, and loves rare burgers. When Emma-Rose uncovers a dark family secret, she has a sudden revelation. Could Emma-Rose be a real, live vampire?

MY REVIEW: Wouldn't being a vampire be cool? Or at least knowing one would be awesome. Well, Emma gets that chance when her great-aunt Margo comes for a visit. Emma finds out a lot about her family and herself. The story makes us believe that Emma is going to turn into a vampire, but the road takes a twisty turn and all of her thoughts turn out wrong. I liked this story and thought it was unlike other vampire books I've read.

MY FAVORITE SCENE: (From page 37 in the ARC)

 "I drew my knees to my chest and sat still in the darkness while the storm raged outside. All my life, I'd suspected that there were secrets lurking behind the ordinary, that there was more to reality than met the eye. And now, I had actual evidence.

The realization struck me all at once, as fast as a flash of lightning. It was so crazy, but so obvious that I couldn't deny it.

My great-aunt was a lot more than just weird.

She was a vampire."

COVER COMMENT: This cover is really cute. I like how the covers in the POISON APPLE series look similar in style.

RATING: ++++

FOR FANS OF: Contemporary MG

SERIES: This is a stand alone title in the POISON APPLE BOOK series

REVIEWED BY: Caity

BOOK SOURCE: ARC 

Comments

  1. So I am wondering it the title matches the fact that Emma doesn't turn into a vampire? This sounds like a good middle school read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't want to spoil the ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your review and this book !! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop