Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Viking Juvenile (May 4, 2010)
BOOK DESCRIPTION: Best friends Lani and Erin couldn’t be more different. Lani’s reserved and thoughtful; Erin’s bubbly and outgoing. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. There’s no possible way they could be interested in the same guy.


So when Erin starts dating Jason, Lani can’t believe she feels such a deep connection with him—and it may be mutual. The more Lani fights it, the more certain she feels that it’s her fate to be with Jason. But what do you do when the love of your life is the one person you can’t have?


MY REVIEW: SOMETHING LIKE FATE is a cute and charming story. Best friends Lani and Erin sounded like girls I know and Jason is one of those guys every girl wishes she dated. The book is a quick read but its the characters, especially Lani and Jason, who remain with you. Colasanti's writing is sharp, direct, and her dialog realistic. Besides being a story about Lani falling for her BFF's guy, the book deals with prejudice (especially homophobia with Lani's other close friend, Blake), being ostracized (how mean kids can be to others), healing, learning to deal with one's fear, astrology and finding one's soul mate.


I read this over two evenings in between breaks from homework and really liked it. SOMETHING is sweet and makes you long for a relationship with a great guy like Jason. I liked Lani's character, she was down-to-earth, funny, and seemed to speak directly to me. I felt a connection with her and everything that happened to her. This book was a refreshing change from the action-oriented books I love to read. After this I will definitely be checking out Ms. Colasanti's other books.


FAVORITE PART: All of page 248 (of the ARC, THE scene with Jason in school), but it's this other part on page 249 which really touched me.
I don't know exactly what makes me start crying. Maybe it's the frustration of knowing that I really did my paper, but now I look like a liar all over again. Maybe it's how Jason kissed me in front of everyone and I just walked away. Or maybe it's coming to school every single day with so many people still hating me. That can wear a person down.
I could relate to that since I believe many of us have similar days or experiences like that at some time. You have to read the book to get the full extent of these words. Trust me, it's touching.


COVER COMMENT: I have to rate this the highest possible. EXCELLENT COVER! The purple sofa from the ice cream shop, Lani's dark hair, Erin's light hair and even the side shot of the model representing Jason were dead on for me. Plus the photo is so eye catching it would make me pick it up in the bookstore.


RATING: +++1/2


FOR FANS OF: Elizabeth Scott, Sarah Dressen, Simone Elkeles and Deb Caletti.


SERIES: No.


BOOK SOURCE: Traveling ARC Tours.


REVIEWED BY: Meghan



Comments

  1. I have seen this book and rad the summary but didn't think it was a book I would enjoy. However, after reading your review I have changed my mind. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOMETHING LIKE FATE, by Susan Colasanti, was a beautiful and passionate story of fate and betrayal. Lani owes Erin everything, but she believes there are stronger forces in the universe that connects her to Jason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop