Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder


  • Publisher: Simon Pulse
  • Date: January 2010
  • Page Count: 412
BOOK DESCRIPTION: Restless souls and empty hearts.
Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.
Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.
As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.
MY REVIEW: Schroeder's first novel in free verse, I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME, brought me to tears with the power of her sparse words. Her second, FAR FROM YOU, had me so close but since I had experienced her first novel I knew to control myself better. Control is not an easy feat when reading her books. Such simplicity can invoke strong emotions and CHASING BROOKLYN was no different. I was taken in by Brooklyn and Nico's story. As they share the narration, going back and forth, the sad story unfolds. They have both lost someone dear to them, Lucca, her boyfriend, his brother, and to both a best friend. 
When the story begins it is the first year anniversary since the car accident claimed Lucca's life. Brooklyn is mimicking a living person as is Nico. Their pain is great and we see that in the things they no longer do or do in excess. She has stopped drawing, he has taken to literally running away and letting himself get lost in the strain on his muscles. When Lucca visits his brother, he drops a book from a shelf, the title is a message to help Brooklyn. It is through Nico's attempts to reach out to her that he discovers he was as lost as her. Brooklyn receives her own visit from the newly departed Gabe, her friend and the driver of the car who survived the accident only to die under a cloud of suspicion.
CHASING BROOKLYN is a quick read but the words and emotions resonated with me long after I finished. It is a novel about redemption, love, life and taking chances. It's about living one's life and going on despite the obstacles we have to face. I liked how the author used the ghosts of Lucca and Gabe without over doing it. The story wasn't lost on the supernatural aspect, it was enriched by it. I won't spoil what happens between Brooklyn and Nico but their story is sweetly touching and engrossing.
One of my favorite passages is from Brooklyn (page 76):
When he opens the door, 
I step in
and an army of memories
come at me from all sides.

Meeting his parents for the first time.
Studying for finals together, munching on peanut
M&Ms.
Making out in his room when no one was home.

A trickle becomes
a sprinkler.

Nico looks like he wants to call
for a rescue party.

To rescue him.
Not me.



COVER COMMENT: Lovely picture. It captures the true spirit of the story.
MY RATING: ++++
FOR FANS OF: Beautifully written stories in free verse.
BOOK SOURCE: Hard cover provided by International Book Tours. 
REVIEWED BY: Laurie

Comments

  1. Nice review! Thanks for sharing!
    I've just posted my review of this on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop