A Tale of Two Demon Slayers

Publisher: Love Spell
Date: January 2010
Page Count: 308

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Last month, I was a single preschool teacher whose greatest thrill consisted of color-coding my lesson plans. That was before I learned I was a slayer. Now, it's up to me to face curse-hurling imps, vengeful demons, and any other supernatural uglies that crop up. And, to top it off, a hunk of a shape-shifting griffin has invited me to Greece to meet his family. 

But it's not all sun, sand, and ouzo. Someone has created a dark-magic version of me with my powers and my knowledge--and it wants to kill me and everyone I know. Of course, this evil twin doesn't have Grandma's gang of biker witches, a talking Jack Russell terrier, or an eccentric necromancer on its side. In the ultimate showdown for survival, may the best demon slayer win.

MY REVIEW: I came upon this book quite accidentally, read it, and liked it. The main character, Lizzie, has a nice sense of humor and her talking dog, Pirate, has some good one-liners. There seems to be a trend in contemporary fantasy to have a wise-talking, butt kicking heroine who has powers and gets a hot boyfriend, but after reading so many these traits becomes mundane.

Maybe I've been reading too much YA, but I find the stories geared to the young adult market (in paranormal, especially) to be more unique and interesting today than some of the adult titles I've read recently. I am only addressing the books I have read and not the entire book list; it may just be I'm reading the wrong titles. (There is a future post buried in here which I will address at another time.)

A TALE is a fast, action-packed read, a great book to take on a long trip or to read while commuting. Other people have loved it, I did not. Perhaps it's because I came into this series with this third offering and haven't read the others, but I enjoyed it. The plot was interesting, though predictable in parts. Lizzie's ability, especially her weapon to fight demons, was unique. The storyline of having a doppelganger was okay, though we don't really learn much about her duplicate or see her in battle until the climatic showdown (which felt rushed and short lived).

RATING: +++

FOR FANS OF: Adult paranormal romance.

SERIES: Yes, book number three.

REVIEWED BY: Laurie

BOOK SOURCE: Swapped.

Comments

  1. Met this author and she is great. It was fun hearing her story of how she became a writer, who inspired her and how she got the idea of the book. Even her take on the characters was a laugh! Loved her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop