BROKEN by Megan Hart

Publisher: Harlequin Books
Date: May 2007
Page Count: 378
    BOOK DESCRIPTION: (ADULT TITLE!!) My real name is Sadie, and once a month over lunch Joe tells me about his latest conquest. But what Joe doesn't know is that, in my mind, I'm the star of every X-rated one-night stand he has revealed to me, or that I'm practically obsessed with our imaginary sex life. I know it's wrong. I know my husband wouldn't understand. But I can't stop. Not yet.

    BOOK REVIEW: Every female likes to read some type of sizzling romance. I picked up this adult book because of all the good reviews I read. It is erotica and it's steamy in sections, but the hot factor is not cheap or overdone. Hart is an excellent writer and I now understand all the glowing remarks. The story is multi-faceted and layered. We meet these 'women' who we learn were the one-night stands of a man named Joe. He meets the main female character Sadie the first Friday of each month for lunch and relays these stories to her. She listens and comments. Yes, they have a strange relationship at first, but the story grows on you. Joe seems like a man whore and he is--except we see that he, like Sadie, is simply searching for someone special. Sadie's own story is sad. Her husband, Adam, is a quadriplegic (after a skiing accident). By day she's a psychologist, listening and offering advice to others. In the evening she becomes Adam's caretaker. The resounding problem she has is there is no one to pour her heart out to.

    Hart did a great job creating these characters. You get a real sense of each one, no matter how short their stay may be. Sadie is nuanced and believably so. She is flawed but we appreciate her for it. Joe is a rascal with a searching soul. Even Adam is poignantly portrayed. Out of Joe's one night stands I thought the most interesting character was Sassy. Her chapter was rich.

    One of the most powerful lines in the book was (SPOILER ALERT!!!)  "Forever is how long it takes to search for the reason your husband is dying in front of your eyes and being unable to find it." I did tire of the back and forth play between Joe and Sadie, luckily my weariness began toward the ending chapters. The story is fraught with emotions and ends on a hopeful note.

    RATING: ++++

    SERIES: No.

    FOR FANS OF: Erotica, romance.

    REVIEWED BY: Laurie

    BOOK SOURCE: Swapped.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

    The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

    Spooktacular Giveaway Hop