Book review: Reaper's Claim: Satan's Sons MC Romance Series Book 1 by Simone Elise #romance @simonewattpadd @Inkitt



Reaper's Claim: Satan's Sons MC Romance Series Book 1
by Simone Elise
Contemporary romance
eBook, 346 pages
Published February 15th 2017 by Inkitt
Find it: Amazon | Goodreads

In my motorcycle club I’ve earned the name ‘Reaper’ and now I have my claim on Abby Harrison.

Reaper:
I didn’t know what love was, but I knew what want was, and I wanted Abby. When I walked out of the club and saw her I was stone cold sober. She was quietly beautiful and unlike any other woman I’d had before. But she was the daughter of the president of Satan’s Sons MC and completely out of my reach.

Abby:
Everyone knew The Reaper and how he got his name, so I never expected him to be my salvation when my sister's drunk boyfriend wanted to lay hands on me. I thought my innocence would be lost in that alley, until he showed up and saved me. I know being with Reaper will lead to trouble, but I don’t know if I have the strength to stay away.

Being together might be dangerous, but outlaws are meant to break the rules.


Wattpad sensation Simone Elise sure knows how to spin an intriguing story. Even if motorcycle club romances aren't your thing, your opinion might change after spending some time with her characters. And honestly, who can't pass up a hot bad boy in a leather vest who rides a motorcycle?

Reaper's Claim is the first book in author Elise's Satan's Sons series. The ARC I read was very long and now the book has been divided into two. Again, my comments will reflect the older version I read. I'll admit this story kept me way past my usual bedtime and I didn't yawn once. Narrated by multiple characters, this motorcycle romance centers around Abby, one of club owner Roach's twin daughters (her sister is Kim, a free-spirited flirt) and Kade, otherwise known as Reaper. In the beginning Kade is affiliated with another gang, but soon shifts alliances. When we meet Abby she is a quiet, bookish student with excellent grades and a love for creating art (drawing/painting). This girl, 16, is constantly warring with her twin, while watching out for her dad and pouring drinks for the guys in their clubhouse. Over time she changes.

The story does become overly dramatic and long-winded in certain spots. I did question some of the character's motivations. My edition was way too long and some of the exposition could've been trimmed or removed. I wondered where the plot was heading at times as Abby's life underwent some drastic changes from her home scene to new love interests and job prospects. I also thought the shift in narration from the dual perspectives of the couple (Abby and Kade) to include others such as Roach and Kim changed the direction of the story and wasn't needed. It seemed like a device the author employed to advance the story. I prefer a romance where I can follow both of the characters in love. It makes for a well-rounded, more refreshing, reading experience.

Reaper's Claim does a good job involving the reader in these character's lives. From the first chapter the story is addicting, no matter what is going on, and flows quickly in most places. I did feel Abby's character spent too much time mired down in her introspection in places, especially when certain aspects turned repetitive. I would've liked to have seen more character development with her, at least to keep her consistent and sympathetic. She'd been so intent on her education and her art in the beginning and these things seemed to fall to the side of the road once her life became consumed with Kade. The author did show the ups-and-downs teens go through, from hormonal changes to emotional, which we see with both sisters. The readers gets behind them and their relationship was very believable.

Kade was intensely likable from the get go and he drew me in as he struggled with his increasing feelings for the young daughter of Satan's Sons' leader. He had an incredibly tender moment with Abby on the picnic bench in the beginning which had me smiling. There were some really nice moments and dialogue I highlighted on my ereader which would've been even better if they lasted slightly longer and gave us a full impression of the scene and moment. 

Elise did a nice job conveying his emotional arc with the hard man he showed the world. It would've been even better if there were a (short) scene somewhere near the beginning showing his tough character embroiled in some kind of situation, even if it was his punching someone, so I could fully appreciate the conflicts his character has to endure.

Reaper's Claim certainly began with an intense, almost forbidden love affair, and turned into a full love story complete with drama, action, interesting secondary characters and a few twists. I wasn't a fan of the cliffhanger ending. The middle part seemed to sag so I have to wonder what the author has done in this updated version by splitting the story into two. Since I'm already invested in her world, I'll happily check out the new edition.

Rating: 3
Cover comment: I find it kind of lacking considering some of the great motorcycle romance covers on the market.
Source: I received a digital ARC from the publisher in return for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop