Book review: Something Real (Reckless & Real #2) by Lexi Ryan



Something Real (Reckless & Real #2) 
by Lexi Ryan
New Adult contemporary romance
Paperback/eBook, 222 pages
Published March 3rd 2015 by Ever After, LLC

After everything blew up on Christmas, Liz walked away from me, and I let her. She said she needed space and a chance to pursue her dreams. But we both knew she was running from the mess she made. Now the political campaign she used as an excuse to leave is bringing us back together and I’m proving to her what she really needs—not just the hot nights, greedy hands, and undeniable physical chemistry. 

What she really needs is something real. What she really needs…is me.


Something Wild (book 0.5) | Something Reckless (book 1)

Liz and Sam's story continues on in Something Real, a satisfying, highly dramatic conclusion to their series. What an ending it is! Filled with lots of drama, relationships and friendships get tested, secrets are hidden, lies are told, people are manipulated and somehow, despite everything that goes on, the truth is finally revealed and true love is redeemed. 

After the cliffhanger ending of Something Reckless, Liz has left New Hope and is living in Indianapolis, working on Sabrina's mother's campaign. Sam isn't speaking to his father and has become distant. When a scandal breaks involving Sam, he tries to do the right thing but is lured into a conniving person's web of lies and deceit. Watching Liz, or the ghost of her former self, muddle through each day broken was disheartening. She took the break-up with Sam hard. Her sisters and friends try their hardest to break her out of her doldrums. When her hot neighbor George makes his attraction to her apparent, it was great to see her fight to come back to the land of the living. Along with her great friends, the old Liz begins to surface only to get hit with more lies. Except Liz is smarter than some give her credit for. Sam is tired of playing games and wants to come clean with Liz. The fundraiser scene showcased how he and Liz really care about each other (and the hotel room scene too). I did feel sorry for George and since I liked him, think it would be great if he received his own story in the future.

As much as I enjoyed the novel, the drama became a bit much and began to feel like it was there simply to keep the lovers apart. I have to give credit to Lexi Ryan for keeping me invested in these characters despite everything. I needed to know what happens to Liz and Sam and read the book in one sitting. The author has this wonderful way of exposing her characters so the reader can relate to their problems and the romance is always sexy. Sam wasn't my favorite Ryan hero and that's okay. I'm looking forward to the next book series featuring Max and Nix and already know I'm a Max fan. No matter what, I always enjoy my visits to New Hope and its vast array of intriguing characters and situations. Will we learn anything about Lilly too?

Rating: 4
Cover comment: Works well with all of the series covers.
Book source: I received a promotional copy in return for my honest opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop