Book review: Revamped (Angel Creek, Book 1) by Ada Adams

Genre: Paranormal
Format: paperback (299 pages) and ebook (454 kb)
Publisher: CreateSpace (March 17, 2012)

Blurb: A simple mission turned deadly.

Nineteen-year-old vampire Dawn has led a sheltered life within the confines of her father’s presidential headquarters. Upon being sent on a mission to revamp four goofy misfits into guardians of a peaceful little town of Angel Creek, Dawn believes that all her dreams have finally come true. What starts off as a simple task, turns into something unexpected, changing Dawn’s life forever and leading the action-loving, thrill-seeking vampire teen on a path of mystery, danger and intrigue.

When a human girl is kidnapped by a group of rogue vamps, Dawn discovers that there is more going on in Angel Creek than meets the eye. And it all connects to Ethan, the cute newcomer who seems too perfect to be true, Sebastian, the mysterious vampire with a turbulent past, and even Dawn herself. Dawn must not only succeed in revamping the troubled recruits, but must also prevent the vampire race from being overtaken by a malevolent villain who has a strange and obsessive fascination with her. As threat escalates, romance blooms, and ghosts from her past begin to surface, Dawn is sure of only one thing: her life will never be the same.


Laurie's review: Revamped was a charming, fun read. Author Ada Adams has managed to create vampires with some new attributes and attitudes. In 2015, there are two kinds of vampires--the Made and the Born--and both are readily accepted into society. Main character Dawn is likable, a Born vamp, and only child of the vampire president and an excellent fighter. Her dad tells her she finally has her first mission--to go to a small town and help its resident vamps train so they can protect the human inhabitants. Dawn has no idea what she's getting herself into when she meets them. There is Brooke, the eternal cheerleader, a newly turned high school gamer named Seth, Sophie is a meek librarian and the easy going drug addict Hunter. Needless to say this group needs a lot of help. Besides her training duties, Dawn has these weird dreams to deal with and as the story progresses she discovers the dreams may be memories.

Dawn has spent most of her life at her father's estate, under his watchful eye, so this is the first time she finally gets to go out and have some fun. There are two prospects at love, the brooding vamp Sebastian and the hot human bartender Ethan. There are also twists and turns along Dawn's journey from newbie trainer to full fledged teacher, a mystery regarding 'rogue' vampires and a man-made drug which gives humans vampiric powers, another story line involving Sebastian, and problems on the home front for Dawn's father.

I enjoyed Ada Adams' writing style. The pacing was fast. Dawn and Sebastian were my favorite characters and having their family histories revealed made me like and understand them more. I did want to know more about the four vampires Dawn trains so they could stand out as individuals and not so much as caricatures. Waitress Hannah was a welcome addition and the way she befriended Dawn was sweet. As much as I liked reading the story from Dawn's perspective, there were moments when I felt I was in her head for too long and she often came across as immature. Still, what definitely hooked me was her sense of humor. There were also some scenes where there was too much telling what was going on instead of showing--especially during the pivotal climatic showdown between the newly trained vamps and Viktor's bad vamps--I would have really liked some more descriptions of the fighting.

Revamped hooked me with the main female character's sense of humor combined with the author's unique spin on the vampire mythos. Vampire fans looking for a break from the serious bloodsucking tales should give this book a read.

Rating: 3 stars Liked it.

Favorite excerpt: "He raised his arms in defense. “Hey, you’re the one who came here, remember?” Why had I come to Sebastian’s house? 

“It’s not like you care anyway!” I said, burying my face in my knees. 

“Perhaps I don’t,” he retorted, shrugging. “Then don’t ask!” 

Suddenly, Sebastian’s expression softened. “Hey, my pants are all grimy because of you,” he teased, smiling. “It’s the least you can do.”

I looked up at him, bewildered. Was the always-somber Sebastian actually making a joke? For the first time since I had met him, his gray eyes twinkled brightly, free of their usual hardness. 

He looked at me expectantly. “I—” I began, then fell silent again. 

I wanted to tell him that my worst fear of failing my father’s mission was slowly becoming realized. I wanted to share my frustration toward the four vampire trainees who sometimes acted excited about their as town guardians, while at other times seemed to personally resent me for it. I wanted to talk about the turmoil my almost-kiss with Ethan caused in my already conflicted mind. And, in this moment of weakness, I also wanted to get on my knees and plead with him to join our dismal little group. Instead, I took a deep breath and calmly asked, “Why don’t you want to join us?”

Cover comment: What can I say about a purple cover? I really like the half side of the model's face and her necklace.

Book source: Recieved an ebook copy from the author for use during a book tour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop