Review: Deeper Than Midnight by Lara Adrian


Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Dell; Original edition (June 28, 2011)

Blurb: At eighteen, Corinne Bishop was a beautiful, spirited young woman living a life of privilege as the adopted daughter of a wealthy family. Her world changed in an instant when she was stolen away and held prisoner by the malevolent vampire Dragos. After many years of captivity and torment, Corinne is rescued by the Order, a cadre of vampire warriors embroiled in a war against Dragos and his followers. Her innocence taken, Corinne has lost a piece of her heart as well--the one thing that gave her hope during her imprisonment, and the only thing that matters to her now that she is free.

Assigned to safeguard Corinne on her trip home is a formidable golden-eyed Breed male called Hunter. Once Dragos's most deadly assassin, Hunter now works for the Order, and he's hell-bent on making Dragos pay for his manifold sins. Bonded to Corinne by their mutual desire, Hunter will have to decide how far he'll go to end Drago's reign of evil--even if carrying out his mission means shattering Corinne's tender heart.


My review: There are a handful of authors I will drop everything for in order to read their latest releases when I'm able to get a hold of them. With children's books it was J.K. Rowling. In the paranormal genre my list includes Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, J. R. Ward, Kresley Cole, and Lara Adrian. I know these writers will captivate me with their tales and I'm usually correct.

Lara Adrian's ninth title in the Midnight Breed series is a strong contender for being one of my absolute favorites. Hunter was always a 'secret' favorite character of mine--the mysterious, unfeeling loner, trained by the evil Dragos to be a killing machine. When he bartered with his Master for his freedom a few books back, I was so glad to have that black collar removed from him. I knew there was more to the man behind the killer's mask and that somewhere down the pike he would have his own story. Now he does. I never imagined the author would pair him up with Corinne, one of the captured Breed females rescued at the end of the eighth book. 

All I can say is Adrian has yet to let me down. There is so much to enjoy in Deeper Than Midnight: the complex multiple storylines all taking place simultaneously, a well-rounded cast of main and secondary characters, and the intoxicating budding of a new romance. Who knew what a mastermind bad guy Dragos would become?  Breed soldier Chase and his dangerous trek down the road to Rogue-dom promises prominence in a future story, as does the subplot centering around a secret Corinne harbors.

The pacing was impeccable, the action swift and engrossing, the characters likable and, in a few instances, delightfully detestable, and the romance toe-curling. This book has everything a Midnight Breed fan expects. And amazingly, after all this time, Adrian can still throw curveballs concerning her intricate stroylines and addictive characters. This title ended on such a cliffhanger I find myself counting the weeks until the tenth book's release next spring. That long? Oh well, at least I know when I have a copy I will certainly engulf that one as I have all the others.

Favorite excerpt: "But it was his eyes that held her the most transfixed. Beneath the crown of his close-cropped blond hair, his eyes were penetrating, probing. As sharply as they bore into her, however, they seemed even more determined to reveal nothing of themselves no matter how deeply she searched.

"I deal in death," he answered then, no apology or excuse. "It is a role I was born into, one I was trained to do very well."

"And you never doubt?" She couldn't help pressing, needing to know. Wanting to understand this formidable Breed male who seemed so solitary and alone. "You never question what you do--not ever?"

Something dark flashed across his face in that instant. There was a flicker of evasion in his eyes, she thought. Brief but impossible to miss, and shuttered a second later by the downward sweep of his lashes as he palmed the car keys and dropped them into the center console of the vehicle.

"No," he answered finally. "I don't question anything my duties require me to do. Not ever." (from page 122)

Rating: Loved it.

Cover comment: I like the dark, rich blue and black but the characters are not as I imagined. Can't they add on some dermaglyphs onto the picture of the male models?

Book source: Library


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop