Rising Shadow by Jacquelyn Wheeler

Reading Level: YA
Paperback: 378 pages
Publisher: Jacquelyn Wheeler

Book Summary: Ashlyn Woods just transferred to one of the most beautiful campuses on the west coast, where she can't wait to start her life over as a normal college student. But her plans take an unexpected turn when she discovers that she is a Soterian: a person who develops amazing powers when the balance of good and evil shifts too far in evil's favor.

Soon she and the other Soterians are studying martial arts and learning to use their powers to prevent California from being plunged into chaos. But they quickly discover that they're up against a much more dangerous enemy than they anticipated.

And when Ashlyn meets Kai, a devastatingly gorgeous guitar player, she realizes she must sacrifice more than she ever imagined.


My Review: As a reader, I prefer reading relatively faced pace works that avoid as much unnecessary detail possible. Rising Shadow (Book One of The Soterians series) has proven to be one of these novels. When Ashlyn, the main character and heroine, begins to notice that she is changing in the most unusual of ways, she finds out just how. She has gained the ability to fly, to become invisible, to hear sounds from a distance, and many more as the story progresses. She then she discovers that she is a scout, a member of the Soterians, a group of people gifted with special powers who share the ability to maintain the balance between good and evil using teamwork. 


While these changes seem stressing enough, love is also introduced into Ashlyn’s life when she meets Kai Anderson. They hit it off from the start and their relationship proves to consist of nothing but true love. I found myself instantly sucked into the world of the Soterians and their battle in maintaining the balance between good and evil. Kudos to Wheeler on this one! I have added the second novel to my Wish list.

Favorite Excerpt: (Page 308)
"I picked up my journal and read the last entry I’d written:
So this is my life.
I’ve developed special powers, which I don’t get to keep, to battle the ultimate source of evil, which can never be destroyed.
And the man of my dreams just moved two thousand miles away.
Not exactly what I had in mind for my junior year."

Rating: +++1/2

Series: Yes. Book two, Merger, was published in March.

Cover Comment: I thought that the cover could have held more meaning for the contents on the story. Personally, it appears to be equal to a do-it-yourself Photoshop project. Hey, the Soterians logo is pretty cool though!

Book Source: Around The World Tours

Comments

  1. Yeah I'm not a fan of the cover either but the story concept sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop