Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen; Reprint edition (June 23, 2009)

BOOK DESCRIPTION: My name is Danielle. I'm eighteen. I've been stealing things for as long as I can remember.
Dani has been trained as a thief by the best there is--her mother. They never stay in one place long enough for Dani to have real connections, real friends--a real life.

But in the town of Heaven, everything changes. Suddenly, Dani must question where her loyalties lie: with the life she's always known--or the one she's always wanted.


MY REVIEW: Reading the first three lines on the back jacket of this book immediately hooked me. Scott's premise of a teen raised by a professional thief for a mom was intriguing, and a welcome break from the paranormal and fantasy novels I usually indulge in. What I discovered was a highly entertaining book full of charming and fully fleshed out characters. I felt for Dani, understood her plight of not wanting to hurt her mother, but yearning for a more normal life. 

Scott is so good at crafting her characters, each has a unique voice which helps expand and add layers to the story. Dani and her mom settle in the cute town of Heaven for the summer so her mom can plan and case out the estates. Meanwhile, Dani gets to spend time at a nearby beach and when a teen girl befriends her, Dani finds herself wanting to make friends. Stealing Heaven is compelling reading. Dani wins you over and you want her to succeed with the young cop, Greg, who doesn't judge her, not even after the truth is revealed about her mother and herself.

Interestingly enough, I realized there are so many of Scott's books in our home library. We only keep books we truly liked or loved. She might not have a lot of celebrity as some authors gain, but Scott is an author I will always read. As a reader I trust her to fully tell a story and tell it well. She hasn't let me down.

Rating: ++++

Cover comment: The cover is cute but doesn't really apply to Dani's character. With the life she leads I wouldn't expect her to bounce up the stairs in such a carefree manner, especially in the town of Heaven.

Book source: Library

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop