Book Review: Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
YA sci-fi/romance
Paperback/eBook, 400 pages
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: May 8, 2012

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.


Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens. 


The hot alien living next door marks me.


You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 


If I don't kill him first, that is.

by Meghan T. 

Obsidian is my second read by JLA and let's just say I will now be scourging through her other works for my next infatuation! I devoured this captivating bundle of awesome-sauce and absolutely adored Katy and Daemon's passionate yet highly combustible relationship the whole way through. 

At first impression, I must say I was disheartened by Obsidian's seemingly cliche plot. A new girl moves into town, her neighbor just so happens to be the bad boy with a tremendous amount of sex appeal, said bad boy winds up saving new girl and simultaneously exposing his powers, after which of course the girl can't help but fall for him. 

Wrong. Daemon's royal douchebaggery does not sit well with Katy. In fact, she feeds it right back to him with a royal flipping of the bird. Katy's defiance to succumb to Daemon is refreshing. There is no insta-lust here. Katy doesn't forget about Daemon's jerk side and blindly fall for his gorgeous eyes. Rather, she challenges his feelings for her and refuses to believe that he really, really cares for her. 

One thing I feel Armentrout really nailed over the head is Katy's witty personality. This is something that is a challenge for many writers out there, because it is easy to turn off readers by overdosing on sarcasm. But JLA seems to have mastered it, which is exemplified by my not once experiencing the compulsion to roll my eyes throughout this read. 

All in all, Obsidian is a scrumptious snack of a read. You will devour it. It might as well be a crime not to. And, to top it off, there will be no post-reading depression once you are finished, as there are five more books in the Lux series to indulge in! Happy reading :)

Rating: 4

Cover Comment: 
Love it! This is close to how I had pictured Daemon. The green hue of the image and the lightning strike in the background are nice references to Daemon's green eyes and superhuman abilities.  

Book Source: 
Gift

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop