Book review: Devoured by Emily Snow

Devoured (Devoured #1) by Emily Snow
Contemporary romance*ebook, 222 pages Publisher: Emily Snow Books
Published October 8th 2012 

Sienna Jensen had no plans to return home when she graduated college last spring—after all, her dreams lie in California. But when she discovers her grandmother’s Nashville home has been foreclosed, and the new owner has started the eviction process, Sienna has no other choice but go back to Music City. And she comes face to face with the flawed, gorgeous man she never thought she’d see again. The man who now holds the deed to her grandma’s estate. 

When millionaire rock star Lucas Wolfe finds the outspoken redhead glaring at him from across a courtroom, he’s both infuriated and intrigued. He still can't get the night Sienna almost spent with him out of his mind, and the chemistry between them is as undeniable as it was two years ago. He craves Sienna more than ever. And just like everything Lucas hungers for, he’s determined to have her. 

Now, Lucas will do whatever it takes to lure Sienna into his bed, even if that means making a deal with her: ten days with him, playing by his rules, and he’ll hand over the deed to her grandmother’s home. Though she agrees to the arrangement, Sienna is conflicted. Because of her duty to her family. Because of promises she’s made to herself and a past that still haunts her. And as Lucas’s game of seduction continues, and Sienna is introduced to his dark, erotic world and even darker background, she realizes that at any moment, she could be devoured. 

*This novel contains adult situations and content* 


Lucas is back in Devoured. Still tough, dominant, crude, and eternally sexy, the story takes place two years after Sienna disappears. She has become his fourth regret in life and he can't forget her. Si tries to forget him, relocating to Los Angeles to work on a tv show. She rushes back home to Nashville to help her grandmother who is losing her home in foreclosure. In court, who is the one purchasing beloved family home? Lucas. This is when the fun and games begin.

Si is the one who got away. Far away. He still wants her. She wants her grandmother's house saved. They strike a compromise. The scene in the court room and coffeehouse had me in stitches with Si's snarky commentary. Lucas, as usual, played it cool. The set-up for Si to live with Lucas for ten days was an interesting twist and both parties would finish with what each wanted. Things don't always go as planned.

"Pulling my hand away from Lucas, I toss my phone into my bag with a little too much force. "I'm here because some douchebag musician from California bought my grandmother's house."
I can't mistake his sharp intake of breath or the way his long legs go stiff beneath the table, squeezing my own. "I see."
"So you'll understand why I'm saying this: Go f*** yourself, Lucas."

Ha, one of my favorite scenes in the book! Much of the story takes place over that ten day span. I wasn't sold on what exactly Lucas was feeling for Si--lust or love--since he doesn't really change. There are flickers (piano scene, bar scene) but he remains gruff. The quick pace kept me reading and for two hundred pages plus, it's a quick read. His whole obnoxious Dom routine fell flat for me. I  supported Si in the novella, here she waffled and my feelings for her were mixed. It was great to see her humorous side emerge but it drove me crazy whenever Lucas would admonish her like a child (don't bite your lip! don't grit your teeth!). I guess part of the reason I'm not in Lucas' fan camp is I don't understand his motivations or exactly what went on with Sam/his life before this. Perhaps this will be covered in the next book, I hope so.

The saving grace in Devoured was Kylie, Lucas' assistant and his sister. I loved her! I like Emily Snow's style of writing, her dialogue is realistic and the character's emotions are always well conveyed. The sex scenes did become tiresome and seemed to take the place of story line at times. The ending and epilogue felt tacked on and rushed. I thought the idea of the video was very sentimental but the scene lacked the full dramatic resonance I expected (due to the lack of Lucas' character depth). I read the blurb for Consumed (Devoured #2) and I'm confused by what it says when I think about what happened in this book. Whatever, I know I will give it a read to satisfy my curiosity and I'm ecstatic to see that Kylie will get her own book in Savor You (2014).

Rating: 3.5
1/2

Cover comment:
I'm glad this series has matching new covers. I like it.

Book source:
Owned.

Comments

  1. I read this shortly after it was self-published a couple months ago and had many similar feelings! I loved Si's snarky commentary at the beginning but felt a bit divided over Lucas. Also, the plot of him wanting to make her stand up for herself... while simultaneously completely submitting to him - it didn't really make sense to me. But I couldn't stop reading either and will definitely read the other books. And Kylie is awesome! :D I'm excited about her novel too.
    Thanks for sharing your balanced review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, wholeheartedly. It was just missing some conviction, for me. I didn't like that Sienna, just sort of gave in. There was nothing to really trigger it, it just happened and left me confused. But, like you...I'm sure I'll read the next one out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop