New Adult review: Easy by Tammara Webber


Easy by Tammara Webber
Genre: Contemporary new adult
Format: paperback (318 pages); ebook (382 KB)
ISBN: 098566181X
Publisher: Tammara Webber (May 24, 2012)


A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

Review: I'm a firm believer that covers DO increase sales or at least drive interest. Since I read a lot more ebooks more than I have in the past, I find myself still attracted to cover art and when a particular cover grabs me, like Easy did, I take a chance and buy it. I mean, c'mon, look at that cover! Their faces, his fingers touching her face, I know it implies romance but to me his hand also says something more important--trepidation and gentility. 

The blurb above spoke to me and I had no idea when I began reading just how much I would love this book. Yes, I used the four letter word: love. Tammara Webber's novel is easy to love. From the opening scene with Jacqueline's attack, I was engrossed by her and Lucas' interaction. The ebb and flow of their dialogue, their precarious situation, the way with which he handled himself around her, the way she wanted to forget, spoke loads to me and I had to keep reading. This is one upper YA/new adult title that needs to be made into a movie. NOW! Complex characters, equally complex storylines, subject matter which is always timely (sexual abuse/rape/predators), a writing style that grips and sustains interest (and demands at times), Easy is one of the most profound books I've ever read in this genre. 

Webber blends a blossoming love story along with acceptance (for being different), understanding (of each other's backgrounds), healing (from broken relationships to past trauma), learning to defend oneself (from many things) while raising awareness for the creeps who are allowed to continue their abuse and inflict pain upon others while they hide behind their gender with the assistance of their frat buds. This book had so many powerful and moving moments, I ran the gamut of emotions from happiness to sadness to tearing up and rage. Few books can provoke such a response from this avid book reader like Easy did. I read this book months ago and still remember it and I can't say that for many other titles.

I don't want to get into the details since Easy already has a strong summary. Readers need to experience this book, enter into it with a clear mind and a large block of time. Take my advice and don't rush into reading this, savor it, take your time. If you're anything like me, you won't want to stop reading until the very last page. Like I said, it is so easy to love Easy, and Tammara Webber has instantly made the top of my list of authors to always read. I'm thrilled this author was picked up by a major publisher.

Rating: 





5+ If I could rate any higher I would.

Cover comment: Perfect. I couldn't imagine any other photo for this book--the cover has made that strong an impact on me.

Book source: Purchased.

Comments

  1. Just like you, I would probably pick up the book sooner if it has a great cover, which makes me wonder, why haven't I read this book yet?! This cover is beautiful!
    I hope to read this book, since every review I have read so far says it's amazing.

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anatea,
      The cover's great and the price is affordable so I took a chance and fell in love. Hope you get to read it soon!

      Laurie

      Delete
  2. Covers grab me too, but its always a combo of reasons that gets me to buy. I've had this book on my wish list. It sounds awesome.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia,
      I'm with you on my reasons for buying but with this one, it was insta-cover love and then I read the blurb. I hope you get the opportunity to read this!

      Laurie

      Delete
  3. This is definitely one of my new favorites! I read it all in one sitting, because it was just that engrossing. The characters went through a whole lot, but I think it was written so well that I barely noticed how fast I read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spring Fling Giveaway Hop