Adult book review: Crash Into You by Roni Loren

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Berkley Trade; 1 edition (January 3, 2012)

Summary: Brynn LeBreck has dedicated herself to helping women in crisis, but she never imagined how personal her work would get, or where it would take her. Her younger sister is missing, suspected to be hiding from cops and criminals alike at a highly secretive BDSM retreat-a place where the elite escape to play out their most extreme sexual fantasies. To find her, Brynn must go undercover as a sexual submissive. Unfortunately, The Ranch is invitation only. And the one master who can get her in is from the darkest corner of Brynn's past.

Brynn knows what attorney Reid Jamison is like once stripped of his conservative suit and tie. Years ago she left herself vulnerable only to have him crush her heart. Now she needs him again. Back on top. And he's all too willing to engage. But as their primal desires and old wounds are exposed, the sexual games escalate-and so does the danger. Their hearts aren't the only things at risk. Someone else is watching, playing by his own rules. And his game could be murder.


My review: As an adult with a family and lots of responsibilities, I sometimes forget I'm also a woman and there are times I want some "me" time, like picking up a sexy romantic novel to get lost in. When I saw the cover for Crash Into You I knew I had to read it (luv that cover!) and as a follower of author Roni Loren's writing blog, I wanted to read her debut novel after hearing about it from her. All I can say is "Wow!" Am I ever glad I had an opportunity to sink into this story.

And sink I did. Or should I say engulfed? There are some erotic novels I can't finish, either because there's too much emphasis on the sex and not enough story development or it's poorly written. Crash Into You was everything I want in a novel in this genre: an in-depth story with believable characters and dialogue, conflict, and, of course, chemistry and lots of romance. Loren's debut took me into a world I knew nothing about--the world of Doms and servants or BDSM while sharing with the reader Brynn and Reid's tumultuous relationship. But the book was more than depicting a couple's alternative lifestyle. Both main characters had issues to deal with and were able to help each other out along the way (and reconnect after a ten year break). The writing was smooth, had moments of humor, heart and warmth, and the romantic scenes were so realistic, natural and intense, I never experienced one moment of being uncomfortable or rolling my eyes. 

An important component of my complete enjoyment with Crash Into You was reading the dual perspectives of Brynn and Reid, told in present and past chapters. Not only did I gain a thorough knowledge of who these people are, I saw where they came from and that enabled me to understand them well. Even the secondary characters were fleshed out and the story kept me glued to every page. Nothing seemed gratuitous and the mystery aspect of this tale reached a satisfying conclusion.

I kept hearing Dave Matthews' incredibly sexy song, the same as the book title, as I read and they were a perfect match--both slow, sensual and addictive (like a freshly brewed tall glass of sweet tea on a sweltering August day)! If you enjoy erotica with a wonderful story and oodles of romantic moments, Crash Into You is definitely worth picking up. I congratulate Roni Loren on creating such a thrilling novel, the first in what promises to be an exciting series.

Rating: Thoroughly engaging!

Favorite excerpt: Too many and too hot to mention.

Cover comment: HOT and SEXY all in caps. That pose, their hands, and the water all depict what will be found inside--sheer escapism into one steamy thrill ride of a story. I haven't seen such a perfect cover in quite some time.

Book source: From publisher for use during a book tour for which I have given my completely honest opinion.

Comments

  1. Mmm-hmmm! This does sound like a nice read. I don't mind steamy romance as long as it is plot-driven and it sounds like this one has a nice backstory and mystery plot.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review. It sounds as though the book is absolutely fabulous. I like romance novels with a lot of twists and turns and this sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the review. So glad you enjoyed the book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and reading! We appreciate everyone's support. Thank you Roni for sharing Brynn and Reid's story with the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop

The Devouring #2: Soulstice by Simon Holt

Spooktacular Giveaway Hop